1.15.2009

Thy calling shall be for a comfort unto thy husband

I love D&C 25. This revelation was given to Emma Smith, but most of it applies to women in general.

Last night my husband was out late with his friends. He only got about 6 ours of sleep. When he woke up this morning, he said, "Why am I so old?" I promptly replied, "Because you act like you're not." In my defense, I was also pretty tired, since I can't go to bed alone.

Then I sat down and read this section. "Thy calling shall be for a comfort unto my servant, thy husband." I looked at Superman and said, "I'm sorry you're old." "Oh, thanks a lot," he scoffed.

Can't win 'em all, I guess.

But seriously. I love this section. It teaches me much as a woman.

I shouldn't murmur because of the things that God hasn't revealed unto me. We all have unanswered questions in our lives, and God just is not going to give us the answer we want to every question we ask.

I should offer consoling words -- words of meekness -- to my husband. I read this as Don't say "I told you so!"

Emma is told to lay aside the things of this world and seek for things of a better. (v. 10) This reminds me of a quote by Margaret D. Nadauld. (Motherboard has it in her sidebar and I love seeing it every time I'm there.)

"Women of God can never be like women of the world. The world has enough women who are tough; we need women who are tender. There are enough women who are coarse; we need women who are kind. There are enough women who are rude; we need women who are refined. We have enough women of fame and fortune; we need more women of faith. We have enough greed; we need more goodness. We have enough vanity; we need more virtue. We have enough popularity; we need more purity."

V. 13 Tells us to lifts up our hearts and rejoice, and cleave unto the covenants we have made. I need to do some more cleaving. The next verse says to let our souls delight in our husbands. If we do so, glory will come upon our heads. I'm lucky to say that I get to do a fair amount of delighting in my husband. He's a really good man. Makes me laugh every day, and also makes me want to be better.

The other part of this section is about music. Such a short passage and small percentage of all the doctrine taught, but so powerful.

I love the hymns. I love music in general, but there's just something about uplifting music. I love living in Utah and having radio stations that play LDS music on the Sabbath. God says that his soul delights in the song of the heart, and that the song of the righteous is a prayer unto him. In sacrament meeting, we sing in relation to every prayer. Not a coincidence, in my opinion.

Music can speak to your heart in a way that nothing else can. The Spirit can communicate so purely through music, the right kind, at least. I can't count the number of times a song has made me cry. And not just church music, either!! I don't know what it is about that medium, but music is so very powerful.

So in short, I need to be a better wife, cleave unto my covenants (and go to the temple soon) and listen to good music.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love that quote from Sister Nadauld, also! What great thoughts from this section! I am going to look for ways this week that I can be a comfort to my husband (who is also a pretty good guy).