2.18.2009

It's funny how I learn things when I blog about them.

I don't know why scripture study is always a problem for me. I was doing so well for a while......but I've struggled recently. I'll think about reading, then just think, "Boring. I don't want to do that right now." That's horrible!! I wish that scripture study wasn't such a hard thing for me, but it is. I have read some over the past few days, but nothing that really stuck out to me, so I didn't blog about it.

But I've just GOT to do it. I have to keep going even when I don't want to, or I'm never going to want to read.

Section 68 is longer than most as has some good stuff. It talks about the literal descendants of Aaron having a right to the priesthood and office of bishop. But if a literal descendant can't be find, a high priest may act as bishop. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but the tribe of Levi is the priestly tribe, right? Aren't they the sons of Aaron? But because their duty was to the temple, they weren't given any land -- they aren't one of the 12 tribes. So no one would ever through a patriarchal blessing find that they were of the tribe of Levi.


I didn't put all this together till just now. I've always been confused and thought that at any time, a guy could find out through his patriarchal blessing that he was of the tribe of Levi and then he would be an active bishop for the rest of his life. That was always so weird to me.........but I just realized that there isn't a tribe of Levi, so it's not really a problem. (I hope I put all those pieces together correctly!)

Another passage I like is vs. 25-28. It talks about our duties as parents. If we do not teach our children to understand the doctrine of repentance, faith in Christ, baptism and repentance, their sins will be on our heads.


When I first read this, I thought it meant that if we fail to teach our children correctly, all their sins would be upon our heads. Which is SO SCARY. But that's not what God is telling us. He says that if we fail to teach them these saving doctrines, fail to have them baptized, THEN the sin is on our heads. It's our responsibility to teach them as young children. We are to prepare them for baptism. Once they are baptized, they are accountable for their own sins. (Funny how this is all making sense now!) It's still our job to teach and guide them, but their sins will no longer be upon our heads.


We are to teach our children to pray and walk uprightly before the Lord. That about sums it up, I suppose.


--With both of these passages, I came in with preconceived notions about what they meant. But as I started to think and write about them, the Holy Ghost clarified things for me and taught me truth. I'm grateful for what I learned today.--

3 comments:

Our Loved-up Family said...

I just found your blog, it's awesome - I'll definitely be stopping by again to read your insights!

Sarah from spirituallythinking.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

It is SO true that we learn when we {try to} re-teach them. I love the things that stood out to you in this section.

tammy said...

And you teach me things too when you blog them, because sometimes you point out things that I hadn't thought of before. But I have to confess, when I saw you hadn't posted on here for a couple of days, I felt relief because I hadn't read my scriptures in a couple of days. I'm trying to be better too.