3.25.2009

D&C 88 pt. 1

I've been browsing this section for the last week and a half, and I'm finally posting some thoughts.

The first few verses talk about the Holy Ghost, and the Holy Spirit of Promise. Vs. 2-3 read, "Wherefore, I now send upon you another Comforter, even upon you my friends, that it may abide in your hearts, even the Holy Spirit of Promise; which other Comforter is the same that I promised unto my disciples, as is recorded in the testimony of John.

"This Comforter is the promise which I give unto you of eternal life, even the glory of the celestial kingdom."

Is this having your calling and election amde sure? Or is the Holy Ghost you receive after baptism accompanied by as promise of eternal life if you heed it's promptings? Is it the same thing? As far as I know, the Holy Spirit of Promise always refers to the sealing powers, but it sounds like it's more directly linked to the Holy Ghost here.

1 comment:

Pancake said...

Hey you, I am on blog break, and was clearing out my reader and saw this post and thought I would comment.

Having your calling and election made sure is an ordinance. Some people believe that when you see Christ that is having your CE made sure, this is incorrect. See TPJS pages 140-151. To gain a better understanding of calling and election do you have the Doctrinal New Test Commentary? By McConkie? If go go to VOL 3 page I believe it starts at 325.. and goes on for the next 25 pages or so.

Also, next time you attend the temple, take note of the words as things begin (make sense>)

The Holy Spirit of Promise is like a stamp of approval on an ordinance. A radifying vote saying it will take.

anyway, I gotta jet!